Finished Female Eunuch? Check!

I have done it! Yay, rejoice! It was interesting, worthwhile and a for the most part a great read. I don't think I agree with everything that Germaine says, but a lot of it rings true. Especially all the stuff about equal pay. It is hard to believe that we still live in a society where two different people with the same qualifications get paid differently. I thought the anger, and the vitality of the text faded a little towards the end but I thought it was great that it finished with a challenge to the reader. Bringing her/him up short with a direct question "What will you do?"

Hmmmm.... what indeed?

An aside would be to mention the annoying asides in the work, boxed quotes that often did not fit and jarred with the main body of the text. Poor writing/structuring/editing there, it should have been incorporatd properly or else used in a different way.

The edition I was reading was a PS. copy and included a couple of short essays on the importance of the work and its postion in feminism. Interesting but I think I would have preferred an interview with the author. Never short of opinion, I think a chance to read some more of her in a decidedly less academic voice would have rounded off the reading experience nicely. Incidently, I wonder if Ms. Greer has an opinion on all the hoo-ha about women on the frontline in the armed forces? We shall wait and see.

It's interesting though, is this a life changing book? For me, I am not sure. What I read next I think might have more impact: The Bride Stripped Bare.

Comments