Remember to Read.

I've been trying to read more this year. I'm even trying to document what I read, with the intention for it to be mindful, rather than mindless - this has lead to the slightly ridiculous #tillysreadinglog2015 hashtag. But bear with me on this, it's a nice way to look back on what you read and every now again a silly little thought of "oh, I haven't posted a book in a while" occurs and I read something else! It does also lead to a backlog of posting (I have three waiting to be posted at the moment but want to space them out a bit between the brunches and selfies and views of London that I post all the time).

The thing is, I love reading. As in when I was five and we had to write what we said mine was "Mathilda says: I LIKE TO READ." I used to carry books around with me, collect them, read them in the car, at home, in the bathroom, when eating, in class, in bed - basically wherever and now I don't.

And I don't exactly know why. It makes me a little sad to think how ferociously I devoured books and stories and how I would reread them over and over and still make time for finding new favourites. Working in a bookshop was an ideal job for me as it gave a bit of a structure (and early access) to reading new books. Also, bookclub was great - I miss that incentive too.

Now it so often feels like there isn't time.

But writers need to read and not having time is kind of bullshit - on my mini commute (plus a bit extra) at the moment I've recently finished two books within a week. I'm trying really hard to do it. And it isn't a chore, because it's one of my favourite things to do - once I am in a story, nothing else exists.

The truth is, everything is better when you are reading. Even the hot, sweaty summer tubes.

So here we are:

Make time.

Remember to read.

#mantrasofourmoderntimes

Comments

  1. I completely and totally understand and agree. I too remember the days of clocking up 100+ books for the MS Readathon - I freaking loved it. But there's this big patch of my late teens and early twenties where I read a lot in short bursts, then went for months without reading much or anything at all. Uni got in the way, and then work, and all I seemed to read were textbooks and internet feeds.

    I've managed to get back into reading every day. A few reasons:

    - I got a Kindle and now I don't feel bad about buying new books all the time (I have a minor phobia of becoming a hoarder)

    - A friend introduced me to Goodreads, where you can set yourself a 'reading challenge' for the year, e.g. 30 books - now I have to beat her! (It's not about the site, it's about the competition)

    - I got a job requiring a half-hour train commute and kept my Kindle in my handbag

    - I've since changed jobs and have to drive to work, but now my girlfriend and I have instituted a half-hour reading-and-crossword-time to avoid using screens.

    And actually, probably another major factor was the end my student employment at a movie theatre. Six years of free movies - no real impetus to go pay for a form of entertainment that requires actual mental effort.

    How's your reading now, Tilly? Managing more lately? (I realise this was written a couple months ago)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Miss! Miss! Pick me, over here! Please! Miss?